All in-universe articles on the Firefly and Serenity Database must be based on objective canon.
The Firefly primary canon consists of all Firefly-related works that are created with direct input from Joss Whedon. Primary canon currently consists of (in chronological story order):
- The R. Tam sessions (online videos)
- Firefly (television)
- Serenity: Better Days (comics)
- Serenity: Those Left Behind (comics)
- Serenity: The Other Half (comic)
- Serenity: Downtime (comic)
- Serenity (film)
- Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale (comics; framing narrative starts during Serenity)
- Serenity: Float Out (comic; framing narrative takes place after Serenity)
- Serenity: Leaves on the Wind (comics; start about 9 months after Serenity)
Also included are the three official companion books written by Whedon, and any comments from Whedon himself pertaining to the story or history of the show. Remarks or interpretations made by cast or crew members (ex. from sources such as Done the Impossible, Finding Serenity, and Serenity Found) should be noted, but not considered canon.
Secondary canon material is made up of licensed sources in which Whedon was not directly involved. All information presented in secondary canon sources is considered canon unless it contradicts primary canon, in which case, primary canon takes precedence. This includes:
We need to ensure that non-official information cannot be mistaken for official information. Non-official information includes fanfic such as My Own Kind of Freedom, fan webcomics, and other unlicensed works. Theories worked out on discussion forums are not canon, but are fanon and should be avoided, unless the topic relates directly to fans.