- Guest Starring:
- Producer: Ben Edlund
- Produced by: Gareth Davies
- Written by: Drew Z. Greenburg
- Directed by: Michael Grossman
- End Credits
Behind the Scenes
- Inara asks whether a carved wooden statuette in a trading post is supposed to be a duck, and Kaylee replies that it's a swan. There is a Chinese proverb that says, "A badly painted tiger looks like a dog; a badly carved swan looks like a duck." (The meaning of the proverb is that it's better not to do certain things than to do them badly.)
(Special Thanks to BrownCoats.com.)
- "So how'd the Independents cut us off?" "They were using dinosaurs." "Jian ta de gui! [Like hell!]" - Young Simon responds incredulously to his sister's make believe.
- "Na mei guanxi. [In that case, never mind.] Because there were dinosaurs involved, I think we'll let it slide." - Gabriel Tam chuckles at his children's play.
- "Yes, and you'd have access to any tian xiaode [God knows what] that filtered in from the cortex. I absolutely forbid it!" - Gabriel Tam's response to Simon's request for a dedicated source box.
- "Dad, this is so da bianhua! [big change!]" - Young Simon finds out his dad has gotten him his source box.
- "Liu koushi de biaozi he houzi de ben erzi! [Stupid son of a drooling whore and a monkey!]" - River curses her brother.
- "Niufen. [Cow poop.]" - Simon, as he steps in cow poop.
- "He's just so shuai [cute]." - Kaylee describes Simon.
- "It's fun, being forced to the ass-end of the galaxy. To get to live on a piece of lese [Taiwan: garbage] wreck. And to eat molded protein. And to be bullied around by our pianzhi de jiuchayuan [stubborn disciplinarian] of a captain." - Simon.
- "Lese? [Taiwan: Garbage?] Serenity ain't lese [garbage]." - Kaylee's response to Simon's words.
- "Feihua. [Nonsense.] Milk and hay, three times a day. Fed to 'em by beautiful women." - Mal responds to allegations that the cattle are underfed.
- "Wash, get down to the infirmary, mashang! [now!]" - Mal, while Book lays bleeding.
- "Laotian bu! [Oh God, no!]" - Wash sees the Shepherd's condition.
- "Wash, I want you to go to town. See if you can't find that jingchang meiyong de [consistently useless] of a doctor." - Mal.
- "Meimei [Little sister], everything I have is right here." - Simon to River.
- "You were in a blackout zone!" "Talking! To someone who might be able to help River. And I'm going right back there." "Chufei wo si le. [Over my dead body.]" - Mandarin spoken by Gabriel Tam.
- "You're not a witch, are you, nianqing de [youngster]?" - The patron, to River.
Alliance cruiser; Badger; beagle; Capital City; cortex; cow; Darbanville; Dervin, Rance; dinosaur; Doralee; duck; Friedlich; Grange, Marcus; Grange, Nathaniel; Graves; Greenleaf; Harbatkin; I.A.V. Magellan; Jiangyin; Jiangyin Prairie Paradise; Medical Elect; paranoid schizophrenia; patron; Ruby; Stark; swan; Tam, Gabriel; Tam, Regan
|Previous episode||Next episode|
|"Shindig"||"Safe"||"Our Mrs. Reynolds"|